- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup pine nuts (3 1/2 oz)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup coarse bulgur (5 1/2 oz)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried apricots (preferably California; 3 oz), finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 oz feta, coarsely crumbled (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Heat oil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook pine nuts, stirring constantly, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Add onion to pan, then reduce heat to moderately low and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 6 minutes. Add bulgur and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in water, apricots, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, until bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in nuts, feta, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
[CP: Note that while this calls itself a dressing, it is also a great bulgur side dish.]
Gourmet, November 2005