- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 cups finely chopped fennel, fronds chopped and reserved
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups corn kernels (from about 6 ears)
1. Pour the olive oil into a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. When hot, add the shallots and fennel. Season with cumin, mustard seeds and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the corn and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes more. Add 1 1/4 cups water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from the heat.
2. Transfer 1 1/2 cups of the corn mixture and liquid to a blender and purée. Strain the pure,é pressing the solids; discard the solids. Pour the corn purée back into the skillet and simmer to a ragu consistency, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with fennel fronds and serve with the gently smoked salmon.
New York Times Magazine