- 400 g of flour; preferably 50/50 white and rye
- 1 packet of chemical leavening (FIXME: how much is this?)
- 200 g honey (preferably creamy, if available)
- 50 g brown sugar
- 20 cl milk
- 1 tsp. ground anise
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground clove
- 1 pinch of grated orange zest
- 100 g of candied citrus zest or ginger (optional)
- 1 tbsp. sliced almonds
Gently heat the milk in a pot and add the honey and sugar to melt. Whisk to ensure it’s completely combined. Let cool around 10 minutes.
In a bowl, add the flours, leavening, and powdered spices and grated orange zest. Mix well. Add the milk mixture in batches, mixing well. If desired, add candied fruit/ginger.
Butter a large cake pan and add the dough. Let rest 1 hour before baking. Top with sliced almonds, if desired.
Bake at 285F/140C for around 90 minutes. The cake is cooked when the tip of a knife comes out clean. If it browns too quickly, cover the top with aluminum foil.
Remove from the pan and let cool on a rack. It tastes better if you let it rest 48h before eating.
two random recipes I found online, translated