- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon each: baking soda, cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each, ground: cloves, nutmeg
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
Sift together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg into a bowl. Mix the butter and brown sugar together in another bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until well blended and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, blending after each. Reduce speed to low; beat in dry ingredients. Add the molasses; beat several seconds until blended. Add the water; beat a few seconds until blended.
Fill two standard-size muffin tins, coated with nonstick spray, about 3/4 full (batter should fill 18 or 19 molds). Bake until tops are set but mixture beneath is jiggly, 10 minutes. Remove pans from oven; sprinkle muffins with crystallized ginger. Return to oven; bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 9-10 minutes. Cool muffins in tins, 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.