- 1 European cucumber, peeled if desired and cut in medium dice
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded if desired, cut in thin wedges or diced
- 1 small ripe honeydew melon or cantaloupe, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice or shaped into melon balls
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon mild honey, like clover, or agave nectar
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil, rice bran oil or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Fresh watercress for garnish (optional)
1. Put the cucumbers in a colander set in the sink or a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let drain for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients.
2. Toss the cucumbers, tomatoes and melon together in a bowl. Whisk together the vinegar, salt to taste, lime juice, honey and oil and toss with the fruit and vegetable mixture. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Just before serving, toss with the herbs. Line plates with watercress if desired. Taste the salad, adjust the seasonings and serve over the watercress.
Martha Rose Shulman, New York Times